Wednesday, May 14, 2008

conferences

I am getting ready to head out to a 3 day conference. I will be sitting in a room for 8 hours a day for the next 3 days. I am sure that most of you have been in this situation. What do you do during the small breaks? Mostly everyone goes for the coffee and the sugary snacks. Oh dont forget the networking.

Here are some suggestions that I personally do just to keep the blood flowing during the lectures.
1. I bring my own healthier snacks. I pack almonds and dried fruit or some of the healthier protein bars.
2. After sitting for an hour or two it is time for some stretching.
3. I drink lots of water

Here are some of the basic stretches that I do.
For the lower back I sit back in the chair and extend my arms out to touch my knees. My elbows are straight. I round my upper back and relax my lower back (pelvic tilt) and drop my chin to my chest and then try to reach over my knees.

If I am standing I place my palms on my lower back to support it with my fingers facing the floor. I am standing with my feet hip distance apart. I slowly lean back. I dont recommend going too far back. This will depend on your flexibility. Stay safe with this one.

I also perform some of my basic isometric exercises during the lectures.

Hands under the table in front of me and lift up. Elbows are tucked into my sides. If there is no table I rest one palm on top of the other palm and the bottom hand lifts and the top hand pushes down. My elbow is tucked into my side when doing this and then I switch hands.

I also perform an isometric for the triceps. My arms are down at my sides and I tighten them keeping my shoulders relaxed. I then push back not allowing my hands to go past my backside. I make believe that I am pushing against a wall.

I also perform an isometric for the inner thigh by squeezing my thighs together or keep my hands between my knees and push on them.

I also perform an isometric for the outer thigh placing my hands on the outer thigh and pushing against my hand.

That is just a start of what I do.

When meetings start early morning and go through dinner you are overwhelmed with so much information that it does exhaust the brain and the body. That is why I perform these isometric exercises through out the day to help the body keep on moving.

Hope this helps for your next conference.
Ellen

No comments: