Wednesday, March 26, 2008

ABDOMINALS- TIP of the WEEK

The air is warming up here in the south and soon enough it will be bathing suit weather. Are you ready for your bathing suit? I personally stopped doing crunches over 4 years ago. I just don't like them. So what is the alternative. When I am stopped at a traffic light ---instead of waiting impatiently for the light to change I sit up tall and place both hands on top of the steering wheel and gently press down. You should then feel your abdominals engaging. Of course I start out with isometrics so just hold this position until the light changes. You are inhaling and exhaling slowly. If I am behind my desk I extend my hands out and the same thing I press down on my desk sitting up tall with my hands extended out. This will engage the abdominal muscles. Just make sure that you are keeping your shoulders down and relaxed. Otherwise your neck will tighten up. If you are either behind the desk all day or in the car you can work abdominals. It is a starting point. this can be done a number of times during the day. If you are incorporating the isobreathing style of breathing you are then working the abdominals a little more intensely.
This is by no means the only abdominal workout you should be getting it is just one of the many ways to work the abdominals. You will still need to gain strength by incorporating other exercises for the abs. This is just a little something that you can incorporate during your busy day.
Ellen

No comments: