Friday, March 14, 2008

What I have been up to

Hi everyone
I just wanted to let everyone in on what I have been up to. You know how the beginning of the year rolls around and as a business professional I set up my yearly goals. One of my goals was to volunteer in a homeless shelter. I used to do this when I lived in Florida and it was very gratifying to know that I was helping someone. Where I currently live there are no homeless shelters but there is the Samaritan center. I go in once a week and shelf the non perishables that individuals donate and fill carts for those individuals that stop by and need food for their families. I have met some wonderful individuals doing this and this is great for the sole.

I also signed myself up through BPW Business Professional Woman to help out at Habitat for Humanity. They are currently building 2 homes that are being built by woman. It was such a cool experience. I met some wonderful individuals and yes of course I was able to set myself up with another speaking engagement. When I got there the ground was muddy from the recent rains. I had a choice to under the house for insulation or up on beams to put on a roof. Well I chose the mud. I am not fond of heights. Another woman stated that she would go up and when she got to the top of the ladder she came right down. I decided there is no place like now to get over my fears. I climbed up and of course I looked down. WOW!!! Even though it is a one story home I was up high with no flooring to walk on. Only a thin 2 by 4 while holding on to the rafters. Of course I had to walk on this thin beam to the opposite end of the house. I tried not to look down holding on for dear life. I do have to say I was terrified but if the other woman up there could do it so could I. It was a great experience and Yes I did have a great time. I held on so thight with my legs as I straddled a beam to hammer on roofing boards. When it was time to get down my legs were shaking so bad from holding on so tightly. (what a great inner thigh workout.)
I did do lots of stretching for arms, lower back and inner thigh. I can say that I am very proud of myself to have gotten up there and not fallen off. In the near future when I get some time I will definitely do this again. I love my tee shirt that I was given.

No comments: