Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Helpful Hints and exercise of the day

A few simple tips:
1. think of where you want to be (realistically)
2. write it down. If it is written it sends a message to the brain that it is real
3. imagine yourself at your goal weight or size
4 write a positive statement including your goal. I look fabulous at size -
5 If you truly imagine yourself at your goal it will send a message to your brain and this is what will eventually happen
A. you will start to think - I am at my goal weight what would I eat at my goal weight. You will then start to watch what you put into your mouth and how much of it will you eat.
B. I never believed in DIET just healthier and smarter choices
C. I am at my goal weight so how much aerobic activity do I need to stay here
D. I am at my goal weight so how many times a week should I be strength training and and for how long.
E. How much water should I be drinking to stay hydrated and to keep that fuller feeling in my belly.

These are just a few of the things that I go over with my clients and this seems to help them out quite a bit.
Personally I do this every day and it does help me to maintain what I have achieved. Minus 65 pounds and keeping it off for over 25 years.

Yes at one point I had weight to lose also. Yes I set my mind to what I wanted and Yes I had my ups and downs. To this day it is still the few 2-5 pounds but I wont let it get over the 5 pounds.

I do eat lots of salads, fruit, dairy and fish. There is actually lots that you can do to eat well and stay healthy.

EXERCISE OF THE DAY:
Are you in the car often and stuck in traffic or lots of traffic lights? Well if your wheels are not turning (car in motion) place your hands on either side of the steering wheel and relax your shoulders. Sit up tall and place gentle pressure on the steering wheel. If you slightly round your upper back you will feel your front shoulders and chest muscles coming into play. Once you are able to feel that then increase your intensity by pushing harder. (REMEMBER TO BE SMART AND DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR CAR IS IN MOTION!!!!!)

If you are not in a car take the back of a chair and place your hands on either side of the chair. Same motion- sitting tall and slightly rounding your shoulders press on either side of the chair and you will feel your front shoulders and chest muscles working.

Let me know what I can do to help you out.
Ellen

2 comments:

Sally said...

Thanks for your awesome Blog, Ellen.

Question...on your Isobreathing DVD, I believe you say to perform the exercises 5x a day. Do you mean 5 breaths per day or perform all the exercises at 5 different times a day. I love Isobreathing and incorporate it to almost everything I do.

Thanks,
Sally in San Antonio TX

isobreathing said...

Hi Sally,
It is only the breathing that needs to be done a minimum of 5 times a day. The reason for this is - I want each individual to be accustomed to this breathing until it is a natural way of breathing. Diaphragmatic breathing is healthier for everyone.

I am glad that you are enjoying the program.
Ellen